4/12/13

Bill Pronzini: That 70s Crime Writer


"The private detective of fiction is a fantastic creation who acts and speaks like a real man. He can be completely realistic in every sense but one, that one sense being that in life as we know it such a man would not be a private detective."
- letter, 19 April 1951, published in Raymond Chandler Speaking (1962) 
Raymond Chandler was right. The great detectives of fiction, if they exist, would probably not be private eyes, of some renown, but occupy a seat in front of a computer and dream up the plots they would have solved if they had existed on the pages of a Dashiell Hammett or John Dickson Carr story.


For he's a jolly good fellow!
On April 13, 1943, a mystery writer was born who would not look inconspicuous wearing a fedora and raincoat, prowling those mean streets of Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe, or stalk the hallways of a decaying mansion were people have disappeared as if by magic – spurting cryptic remarks and chuckles that drives the official policeman up the wall. Alas, common criminals are rarely known for their storybook-like ingenuity and that's why Bill Pronzini criminal ties are merely fictional ones. 

Pronzini's career began in the early 1970s with the publication of The Snatch (1971), which was selected by our common deity hero, John Dickson Carr, as one of the best detective novels of the year, and solidified his name as one of the top crime/mystery readers in the succeeding decade. I'm fairly much a novice when it comes to his work, but what I have read was enough to list him among my favorites and not just because Pronzini is a damn good writer. 

What lights the fire in Pronzini's stories, that keeps most of us drawing to his work like moths, is that he's an avid mystery/collector himself and brings 170 years worth of insight into detective, thriller and private-eye fiction to the game – drifting himself quite naturally between those styles. Pronzini prefers to vary his style and approach to keep it fun and his long-running series fresh, which means that you can bounce with the Nameless Detective from an impossible crime buried in the past (Bones, 1985) to soul-searching suspense (Shackles, 1988). Historical mysteries, stand-alone thrillers, short stories, and that rare beast of crime fiction, properly done crossovers are part of Pronzini's repertoire, but more importantly, characterization reflects the modern era without turning a story into a collection of mini-biographies – adding instead of distracting from the stories. You get to the learn the (main) characters, bit by bit, which I always thought was much far more realistic and makes me care about what happens to them then when I would've waded through hundreds of pages of personal misery with a backpack full of past angst. 

Exactly the same can be said about a number of other post-GAD era writers that I, as a staunch classicist, nonetheless enjoy reading, such as Marcia Muller, William DeAndrea, Herbert Resnicow, Paul Halter and M.P.O. Books, and they have one thing in common with Pronzini: they all love(d) to sink their teeth in a good detective story and sometimes possess an encyclopedic knowledge of the genre. Personally, I believe that their grasp on the genre has enriched their stories and continued to a tradition that others seem to have forgotten. You don't believe me? Xavier Lechard has a gem buried on his blog, a post from 2009, which reports on an Edgar-winning author, Tana French, chortling about how she carries on "the traditions of mystery fiction," and that's true, but than she blasts everyone with a nodding acquaintance with detective stories in the face with a shotgun blast of ignorance: "...my book is narrated in first person, which is an old convention of the genre except that in this case the narrator lies." I wonder if she spend a couple of days in an isolation tank for inspiration, but Agatha Christie was probably struck by that idea when she was doing the dishes. 

That’s why I find it hard to warm up to today's best-selling thrillers and popular police procedurals. They not only lack the historical depth, but I genuinely don't care about the troubled cop with his messy private life – if that's the only thing they have to offer. I want to be entertained or captivated with clever and imaginative plots (clues abound!), engaging characters, atmospheric settings and memorable scenes. Give me the tale of John Quincannon and Elena Oliverez, kindred spirits separated by a hundred years, who managed to help each other solve an even older case (Beyond the Grave, 1986; with Marcia Muller). Give me Nameless and Kerry Wade for a couple, whose mutual love ignited amidst "Carter Dickson-effects" in Hoodwink (1981) and Scattershot (1982). Give me any case that passes through the offices Carpenter and Quincannon, Professional Detective Services (The Bughouse Affair, 2013). Give me the kind of "fictionalized realism" that drives a good plot (Dragonfire (1982) & Savages, 2005), because actual realism would result in a 600-page novel painstakingly describing a stakeout of a suspect without a payoff. That's what realism in crime fiction would be like. 

But this celebratory post is threatening to turn into a diatribe, and yes, this is embarrassing heap of praise is a mea culpa for not having a proper review ready to mark Bill Pronzini's 70th birthday – unlike some of my fellow bloggers. Rest assured that I'm thoroughly assumed of this fact and will review one of the Nameless novels I have kicking around later this/next month. Until then, I want to congratulate Bill Pronzini and Marcia Muller with reaching this personal milestone and hope they've a great day tomorrow, and many more years together to trust their nefarious schemes to paper.

10 comments:

  1. Terrific tribute to a gifted writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. Contemporary best-selling thrillers with detectives grappling with personal demons and an over-emphasis on forensics don't do much for me either. Wonderful post. And just where was Tana French living all this while!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to state for the record that detectives grappling with personal demons and forensics have their place in crime fiction, but when they usurp a plot, I rapidly lose interest in them. Nathan Ford and The Nameless Detectives are great examples of characters whose personal issues drive plots instead of distracting from them.

      No idea where Ms. French was living, but she wasn't reading any mystery novels – that's for sure!

      Delete
  3. I agree that he is enormously skilled in both plotting and characterisation, but I would also point out that he is able to make you want to read the next line. This may sound like an obvious skill in a popular writer, but it's extraordinary to see how many authors make reading them a chore. I've lost track of the times that I've been reading a Pronzini book late at night and thought "Oh, I'll just read a few more pages" and ended up losing a lot of sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was especially true for me with Shackles, which I read in one sitting, and it was not even my type of crime story at all!

      Delete
  4. Nice tribute to the man! Counting today's piece I see that on my blog I've reviewed six works by Bill Pronzini, fiction and non-fiction, solo and co-authored, a blog record. Bill is a modern with respect for (and terrific knowledge of) the genre's past and that makes his work truly special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think us mystery bloggers are doing a fine job in reminding people there are still great authors, like Bill Pronzini, out there and love discovering them myself from other bloggers. Puzzle Doc's recommendation of Paul Doherty left quite a mark on my blog. :)

      Delete
  5. Excellent post TC, though when you say Pronzini's career began in the early 70s, I take it you mean as a novelist, as his earliest short story in print dates from 1966.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I have to confess that I did not take that into account, but thanks for giving me an out. Yes. I totally meant as novelist! ;)

      Delete